Believe it or not, 2022 is here. Are you ready for the changes ahead? Digital marketing continues to grow in leaps and bounds. Having a plan is essential for every business today. But the digital world changes so quickly. How can your business keep up?
That’s why we’re covering the top 6 must-have tactics for your 2022 marketing strategy. These tactics are all simple to implement and result-driven.
#1: Leverage an Organic Social Media Presence
At this point, we all know that advertising on social media is valuable. But in 2022, establishing an organic social media platform will be a must. An organic presence builds trust and intimacy with potential and existing customers in a way that paid advertising can’t.
Here’s how to establish an organic social media presence:
- Share content on your social media platform(s) at least 2-3 times a week
- Focus on value-based content
- Show up on video through Instagram Live, Reels, TikTok, or Twitter to build trust
#2: Save Time with Automated Messaging
Time. We could all use more of it! If you aren’t leveraging canned responses and automated messaging, you’re burning hours of your day away. Responding to messages on social media accounts or email inquiries is a repetitive necessity for every business. Make the most of your time by preparing awesome canned or automated responses that apply to specific inquiries.
Here’s how to implement automated communication:
- Make a list of the repetitive inquires you get on a daily basis
- Craft an awesome response to each of these inquiries
- Check out Meta’s automated response feature to implement these responses for your Facebook and Instagram. Also add these responses to your email’s canned responses.
#3: Leverage Your Online Following for Market Research
First-party data will be king in 2022. Digital marketers won’t be able to target customers the way they have for years, using third-party data. Instead, you will need to find ways to build lasting relationships with customers who interact with you online and leverage them for market research. Your email campaigns and social media content can be the perfect source for this research.
Here’s how to use your subscribers and followers for market research:
- Track the links in your content to follow what customers are most interested in
- Communicate with your subscribers and followers as insiders for your company. Ask for feedback, using questions like these:
- What seasonal drink are you most excited for this winter? Vote here!
- Which topic should we cover next: current marketing trends or tips and tricks to staying organized as a small business?
- Help us choose our next featured scent! Choose from the following: Calming Lavender or Sweet Tangerine
#4: Build a Referral Program
Did you know that people are 90% more likely to buy from a company if their friend recommends it? Word of mouth marketing is essential for a small business. Over 80% of Americans say they will look for a referral from friends when making a purchase. One of the best ways as a small business to encourage this is to build a referral program.
Here’s how to build your small business referral program:
- Keep it simple, with an attractive and clear call to action (CTA)
- Give customers an incentive to share with a friend
- Make referral links easy to share on social media
- Check out these examples of successful referral programs
#5: Focus on User Experiences
Our digital world is crowded with advertisements. What customers are craving more than a shiny ad is an exceptional user experience. And small businesses are in the perfect place to stand out as unique. In 2022, improve your user experience by walking through a customer’s journey with your brand from introduction to making a purchase. A stellar user experience will increase your word of mouth referrals, as customers become fans of your business.
Here’s how to stand out as a business by creating unique user experiences:
- Outline every step in the relationship with a customer from no knowledge to recommending your business to others, including:
- Becoming aware of your brand
- Considering your services and products, comparing you to other businesses
- Making a purchase
- Post-purchase relationship and customer loyalty
- Becoming a brand fan and advocate
- Ask “How can we improve a user’s experience through each one of these steps?”
- Keep all communications and interactions unique, personal and clear
#6: Stay on Target with Exceptional Content on Fewer Channels
Here’s one more tactic to help you save time and energy. As a small business, it can be challenging to identify what online platform to use. The number of platforms online today (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Youtube, to name just a few!) can make digital marketing feel like a wild goose chase. Choose 1-3 channels at the most to focus on in 2022.
Here’s how to choose the right platform(s) for your business:
- Start with your business today. Ask:
- What channels are we currently on?
- Which channels have we found success with?
- What type of content (video, picture, text) works the best for our brand?
- Then review a list of social media and online platforms. Ask:
- What type of content (video, picture, text) does this platform focus on?
- How much time does it take to make content for this channel?
- What channels are our competitors successful on?
Why Not Stick with 2021 Marketing Tactics?
Running a business requires a lot of moving parts. It can be extremely tempting to create a strategy one time and stick with that strategy for years. If this is you, beware: you are quickly becoming out of date in an ever-evolving digital world. What worked yesterday will not work today or tomorrow.
Make your life easier: establish a routine check-up on your marketing strategies. It is easy and simple to make small improvements as the world evolves. It is challenging and confusing to backtrack through months or years of online developments to completely revamp your marketing strategy. Introduce these simple tactics at your marketing strategy meeting for 2022. Take your marketing strategies one step at a time, and come out on top.
What to do next:
- Share this post on your favorite social media channel
- Email this post to someone that will find it helpful
- Leave a comment below (we read and respond)
- Schedule Your 15-minute Discovery Call!
Linda Musselwhite is an author, speaker and co-owner of Musselwhite Marketing (est 2009). Linda’s previous positions as Human Resources Administrator. Combined with extraordinary customer service makes her the obvious choice of day to day operations for Musselwhite Marketing.
Connect with Linda on LinkedIn.